VR Conspiracy theories (Read at your own risk)

Occasionally I find it interesting to “google” the things I am wondering about. So the other day I searched for “virtual reality conspiracy theory”. I got 1,570,000 hits. The very first one had an interesting title, “The Future History of the World…” and a site name of http://www.heaven-or-hell-its-your-choice.com/alien-computer.htm. How could I resist?

Apparently this page is a preview of a new E-book that the site owner tells us is, “endorsed by some of the smartest people on the planet.” This was getting better all the time! As if that wasn’t convincing enough, we find the author telling us right off the bat that he is “totally sane.” Wow! What more do you need for the ingredients of a good conspiracy theory but the introduction of “I’m not crazy”?

Let’s start reading. At first glance some things here do sound interesting. Like the concept that humans can, “…manipulate and build structures at the same level that biological systems operate.” Not something I as a nonscientist can verify but it does sound interesting doesn’t it? Sounds like a concept ripe with possibilities to me. It also makes the author sound like he knows what he’s talking about which is also good. Let’s go on.

Now that we know our author is smart and sane and that his book is endorsed by the smart we are ready to get into the good stuff. Shortly, we are warned that we are headed for disaster with our use of nanotechnology and virtual reality (VR). VR is a part of that disaster by coming into every home. According to our conspiracy theorist, the danger here is that we will become accustomed to communicating with non-real people. By doing this, the author thinks that soon we will be unable to distinguish artificially intelligent virtual people from real people. The author must think we are not as smart of sane as him. Not to mention, having worked on some AI communication recently, I think this might be a little while off. Let’s keep going anyway and see where this theory is taking us.

Apparently our conspiracy theorist also believes that beyond communication we will also get used to seeing creatures that look strange. I wonder if he’s heard of Halloween or Hollywood? Anyway, apparently this will pave the way for aliens to introduce and integrate themselves slowly into our society. Nanotechnology, VR and Aliens oh my! What more could we ask for in a good conspiracy theory? Wink, wink. Now we just need to involve the world governments and I think we’re set.

Speaking of governments, on the plus side our theorist seems to also think that VR would make world peace a possibility. This is an unusual twist on the usual gloom and doom I’ve seen in the conspiracy theory field. We may have found ourselves a conspiracy theory optimist! His theory for world peace is as follows: if my VR best friend lives in Russia or the Middle East than I don’t want to nuke those countries anymore so we become one big happy online family. I’m not sure he’s seen the news lately but I’m pretty sure my not wanting to nuke a country doesn’t really matter. Following his logic we need to get the president and congress to play second life and make friends with more people. Until then I think we should all be practicing with our headsets our virtual performances of “Kum bi ya” just in case he’s right. See you on SL, my foreign friend (or alien?).

1 comment:

Hari said...

Don't be so naive; I am not endorsing the writer's views, sanity, or intelligence (I might if I knew more about him)

Do some research, the technology you describe is currently available, and the views expressed are held by many academics. The fact that the author said that VR will likely bring about peace means that this is more of a well crafted discourse than simply a lunatic on a rant.

Before you are so dismissive of progressive thinking, consider one question: Has there ever been a notable instance (or even one?) of a historical leader sacrificing his name and position for the greater good of his people? And you can't count martyrs like Gandhi or Mandela, they achieved immortality through good grace so they increased their welfare in a way, and didn't have any power to begin with.

Fearful denial of the possible leads to deluded cynicism. Appraisal of the probable leads to sage-like wisdom. Take your pick; and think before you knock an author's hard work because of your own insecurities, fucker.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites