I'm stuck on "Orientation Island" and I can't get off!

"My theory is that the hardest work anyone does in life is to appear normal." - from movie Ed TV.

A few days ago I learned how to get into a car in second life. Driving is another can of worms! I kept walking all over the car and finally this guy drives over and asks me if I want a ride. I confessed I didn't know how to get into the car. He was pretty patient explaining things to me. But then he tells me you have to collect stars to get off the island. Shannon said he was lying. So, now I'm a gullible avatar.

Prior to the whole car experience, I walked up to someone and they kept looking at me. Well, their avatar was staring at my avatar. So I say something like, "I know I don't like this outfit either." She says she does like mine but not hers. I said I thought that was funny. She asked why and then never said another word to me. Maybe something distracted her in her real life? So I walked away. It was strange to feel strong emotions about this "game."

And walking away I thought, this is like really involved chatting. I mean I remember posting on message boards and getting so involved in those exchanges. Once, on a Buddhist message board in the early 90s, the discussion got really heated about cutting the lawn. Was the grass a sentient being? Was cutting the lawn damaging to it? How was karma involved in all of this? Was the guy who initiated the talk just unwilling to admit he didn't want to mow the lawn?

No wonder I got emotional when other people wouldn't talk to me in second life or just walked away! In fact, I saw another avatar that looked like mine. I ran up to her. She took one look and ran away. I couldn't blame her. She scares me too. But it surprised me to feel sad about this virtual rejection. So what is happening with the our real world social structures that we are coming up with more and more complicated but realistic ways to communicate with others? And why do we spend more time communicating with strangers online than in person? And what does it mean to be a lesbian stuck on “Orientation” Island? Is that the Internet God's cruel joke?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites